Sunday, January 15, 2017

The first Gold & Blue Day

The setting on the West Apron at Miramar. The evocative plaque is visible still veiled on the right.




















January 13, 2017. The first Gold and Blue Day at Naval Air Station Miramar.
This date we celebrated Miramar's first year of operations in Tuarua Fiji, as it stands on Du Sud Isle. Part of  U.S.N.S.L. COMNAVAIRNAU continental command, N.A.S. Miramar was one of the first to answer the call on the dawn of Third Fleet's resurface.

On this occasion, preceding the unveiling of the evocative plaque by Rear Admiral Isaac Levitt Harcassle Jr., Wings of Gold were awarded and the 2017 Navy Flight Demonstration Team naval aviators were given their assignments, in what we hope will become a tradition at the start of each new season for the Blue Angels.
After the guests were in place and stood for the national anthem, the ceremony went on with a few words from the station commander, CDR. Asra Kron, and from Third Fleet's commanding officer, RADM. Isaac L. Harcassle, after which the awards and assignments were announced and presented. The event was crowned by the unveiling of the evocative plaque by the Admiral.

Here is a small record of the proceedings. As usual, click on the photos to enlarge.

RADM. Harcassle and LCDR. Harcassle arrive at Miramar.
CDR. Asra Kron, NASMCO, briefly runs through a year of N.A.S.M. history.
CDR. Asra Kron's speech.

Rear Admiral Harcassle, fellow officers and enlisted men and women, dear family and friends and distinguished guests.
A year ago today, Naval Air Station Miramar was transferred, brick by brick from the original building site, where it was inaugurated as a United States Navy installation, to Du Sud Isle. We are gathered today to celebrate that occasion and set this date in metal and stone for time to come.
I would like to thank those who made this dream possible.

First and foremost, RADM. Isaac Harcassle, who personally approved my status, rank and command on the day this station was inaugurated, January 8, 2016. Without his vision, his support and his steady hand, Miramar would not be here today.
My amazing Executive Officer, who is being awarded her Wings of Gold after completing the required BFC, IFTR and AFTR goals, most achieved while performing her XO duties and Blue Angels duties. 
She is the best all round field player I could wish for and no the Navy football team can not have her. Thank you, LCDR. An Rainbow, and congratulations on your Wings. You are a true inspiration and a true friend.
Angel One CDR. Vickie Kuhn of the Navy Flight Demonstration Team, who has been the rock I lean on when I falter. Who has placed her trust in me and allowed me to share the Blue Angels dream. Angel 7 salutes you, Boss. Thank you.

To all Blue Angels that today get their assignments from the hands of Third Fleet Commander, you are outstanding aviators and amazing friends. And this ride is just beginning. My humble thanks for accepting me 8 inches away from your wings doing 300 miles per hour and for making Miramar the "Blues" second home.
I am not going to name every officer that served here the past 12 months, but I can assure you I remember you all and with very few exceptions you all inspired me and humbled me with your effort, dedication and quality. To those few who fell short, my apologies. I feel you did not fail me, but somehow I failed you. You also helped me to do better and grow as an officer.
I am privileged to have served alongside you last year and into the one just starting. May we stay steady on our course and aim true at our goals. My deepest gratitude to you all.

Fellow Commanding Officers and crews in Third Fleet, from NSTC to NRSO, NAFEN to NBNV. Without you, your continued effort in making this Fleet one of the finest in the USNSL, we would be but an island and little more. Thank you.
To our amazing supporters outside Third Fleet, USNSL and others, impossible to name here without Admiral Harcassle transferring me to the South Pole by the time I would finish, I will just name a few: CAPT. Sidney Pobieski, LCDR. John Sheridan, Ms. Surreal Chung, Ms. Shana Carpool, General Luke Flywalker, Ms. Jenny D., Ms. Caith Lynn, Ms. Beth Delaunay, Ms. Anita Babii, and so many others. My deepest and sincere gratitude.

It was a difficult but also an amazing year. I will remember it forever, no matter how many will follow, as the time where the dream came true. This dream is now real and undeniable. The way I see it, being a Naval Aviator in Third Fleet USNSL is more than a "play". It is a way of life. I look at the flag waving high over this station and I see the star spangled banner of these United States.
I salute it the first time I see it in the morning and the last at night, when I go by it. I wish CPO Black was not a bot and could sound retreat each sunset, but since he can not, the flag flies over a perpetual light so it is never in darkness.
Let us never forget who we impersonate, their true life example and commitment, and by daring to mirror their lives in this world, honor them and respect them as the true heroes they are. That is our responsibility and our main mission, as we portray their roles and play the part we once dreamed of in real life.
That is our purpose at N.A.S. Miramar, and our resolve. And let it be known that yes the flag does yet stand come another morning. To a new dawn, and the one after, in the best job in the world, in one of the finest places to serve in this United States Navy in Second Life.

Thank you.

[update: exhaustion alone made me miss a fundamental person I did not mention so here is my tribute to her, with my sincere apologies - Margot Fenring - follow the link]

RADM. Isaac Harcassle describes the meaningfulness of the day.
RADM. Isaac Levitt Harcassle, Jr.'s speech.

Thank you everyone for being here today on this momentous occasion. As we all know, a year on the Second Life grid is a lifetime. The grid is ever changing, so hell, any kind of installation or facility that lasts longer than a couple months is an accomplishment on its own.

When I first set foot onto Miramar, I knew it was special. I had just returned from a personal hiatus, and Commander Kron kept the ship together in my absence. Miramar was our one and only foothold on the grid, the only reminder that there even WAS a United States Navy Second Life.
So one year later, here we are. The station is as magnificent to visit and look upon from the sky as ever.

So Commander Kron, thank you for laying down the keel of the ship; the foundation for our triumphant return, expansion, and success. Congratulations to one year of exemplary service for Naval Air Station Miramar, and here's to many more.

Panoramic view of the ceremony during RADM. Harcassle's speech.
The awards on display as the recipients were about to be summoned.
LCDR. Rainbow after receiving her N.F.D.T. assignment, wings on her chest.

[2017/01/13 16:48] =USN= Animation HUD -Horizontal-: An Rainbow salutes.
[2017/01/13 16:48] Izzy Harcassle carefully pins the Wings of Gold onto LCDR. Rainbow's uniform, while whispering, "You know...back in my day...we used to give blood wings." He winks. "The Navy has changed so much."
[2017/01/13 16:49] An Rainbow (anan.ariantho): Thank you Sir and all who helped me achieve my wings.

The evocative plaque is unveiled by RADM. Harcassle. One year.

Those who could join the following reunion at "Cougar's Sore Bottom Sailing Club", the station's clubhouse, closed a day to remember in the best possible way.

The hosts and guests heading to Cougar's after the ceremony.
CDR. Kron at Cougar's with her sister, Ms. Sikara Denver.
Two dear friends among the guests: Ms. Foxy Heart and Ms. Shana Carpool.
Dancing a long and happy day away at Cougar's.
And so ended the first Gold and Blue Day at Naval Air Station Miramar. To all those present and those who could not make it but were there in our thoughts and hearts, our humble and sincere thank you for all your support and love. You helped us get this far and this day was for you, as will the ones that follow. Go Miramar! Go Navy! Hooyah!

CDR. Asra "Cougar" Kron
NASMCO



No comments:

Post a Comment